usage and noise
There are many factors you should consider when selecting a generator, including:
- How will you use the generator?
- Noise level
- Fuel efficiency & run time
- Power output quality
- Ease of starting
- Durability & quality of craftsmanship
- Service and support
HOW WILL YOU USE THE GENERATOR?
Typically, applications fall into one of 3 categories:
- Home back up (i.e. emergency power) Our EU series generators are designed to enable you to quickly and easily power essential home appliances.
- Recreational use (Campervans, camping, picnics, boating) Honda EU generators are quiet and easily portable, perfect for most recreational applications.
- Industrial use (construction and rental) Designed with the construction worker in mind, our durable EG generators have GFCI protection.
Honda makes generators geared towards each of these applications. However, since each customer has unique needs, you should consider other factors while making a choice.
Picking a generator that is quiet is important for many reasons.
- Where you want to run a generator may have noise restrictions that restrict impact generator usage, particularly at night.
- Noisy generators are unsuitable for many applications, including camping, powering outdoor events, and campervan trips.
Most generators are labelled with a decibel rating. Our EU generators operate as noise levels between 52 and 65 decibels* - the same as normal speech.
- Honda 4-stroke engines are inherently quiet
- Quality construction and materials keep the noise levels low
- Superior technology makes Honda the leader in quiet generators
For the ultimate quiet generator and performance too, Honda EU series generators provide some of the lowest noise levels thanks to a totally enclosed body and superior inverter technology.
*operating noise at 7m
FUEL EFFICIENCY & RUN TIME
Before you select a generator, look for one that is fuel efficient and will run for a long time.
Honda Inverter generators feature our exclusive Eco Throttle. This feature automatically adjusts the engine speed to match the power needed by the appliance. This allows for maximum fuel efficiency.
Our EG generators have large fuel tanks allowing you to run your generator for long periods of time without refilling.
*With eco-throttle switched on at 1/4 output.
POWER OUTPUT QUALITY
Voltage regulation controls the power output from the generator. Consistent power is extremely important as fluctuations in power can cause equipment to turn off or even break the appliance. This is a big issue if you are using modern sensitive electronics such as phones and laptops.
AC Power is depicted using a sine wave. The smoother the curve, the more stable the power.
Any spikes in the curve are caused by a fluctuation in the power being created.
There are several different ways to regulate the voltage on a generator:
Brushless generators are among the most common in the industry because of their inexpensive construction but have the least reliable voltage control. Brushless generators can't react to a changing load, either producing low power (a brownout) or high power. Fluctuations of this nature can cause equipment damage.
Honda does not make any brushless generators.
AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator)
Automatic Voltage Regulator, or AVR, designed to consistently control voltage. The AVR keeps the output voltage more constant, regardless of the load. This means no spikes or brownouts.
D-AVR (Digital Automatic Voltage Regulator)
Honda's commercial generators feature a D-AVR (Digital Automatic Voltage Regulator). The D-AVR is designed to hold the voltage stability within a +/- 1% change during operation to which the NZ standard is 50hZ. The D-AVR adjustments are driven off the main winding, versus a sensor winding in conventional AVR systems. Additionally, the D-AVR is protected from overheating by a thermistor.
Inverters produce the cleanest power of all. These units are ideal for sensitive electronics, such as computers. All of Honda's EU series are inverter generators.
Inverter generators offer a number of other benefits, including less noise, lower weight, and greater fuel efficiency as compared to traditional models.
SIZE, TRANSPORT, STARTING
SIZE & EASE OF TRANSPORT
Consider how you will be moving and storing the generator. Honda generators;
- are compact, lightweight models, see our EU generators
- can have optional Wheel kits, like those found on our larger EU and EG generators
EASE OF STARTING
All Honda generators are powered by our reliable 4-stroke engines. Honda engines are known to 'start first time, every time'.
A number of models offer electric start as an added convenience. Electric start models include:
DURABILITY AND QUALITY OF CRAFTSMANSHIP
Quality and reliability are critical when selecting a generator. Consider:
- Is it well put together? Do the components look well made? Look inside the generator, if possible, and compare between manufacturers. You will see substantial differences between a cheap generator and a premium Honda generator.
- What are the materials made of? Are they high quality?
- Is the manufacturer well known? What is their reputation? Honda makes over 1 million engines per year - how many does that cheap model make?
Honda generators have a well earned reputation for reliability and durability. Honda products are tested extensively and manufactured using the best quality materials. Our generators offer dependable power and keep on running year after year. Remember: If you buy cheap, you will buy twice.
SERVICE AND SUPPORT
Because a generator is a major investment, look for a manufacturer that stands behind their product fully. In particular, service and parts support are essential for your peace of mind.
Honda generators are backed by a comprehensive warranty and the best dealer network in the country. With over 400 authorized Honda dealers nationwide, finding a local dealer is easy. And getting the best in class service is never in doubt.
- Parts and service support are readily available across the country
- Our dealers offer trained staff ready to support you